Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"Roberta, remember, you're a lady."


My brother and I caught Dante's Peak on Cinemax earlier this week. That got us reminiscing on cheesy 90s movies that we love: Daylight, Beethoven, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc. And then we started to talk about the merits of Volcano vs Dante's Peak then we got to Gaby Hoffman then I remembered "Now and Then." So I downloaded the movie and watched it last night.

Gaby Hoffman, Christina Ricci, Thora Birch & Ahsleigh Aston Moore as young versions of Demi Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Melanie Griffith & Rita Wilson. Add  Janeane Garofalo, Hank Azaria, Brendan Fraser and my ultimate love, Devon Sawa to the mix and you get a great ensemble!

I had so much fun re-watching this movie. How tempted am I to write to each of these actresses and tell them how much I love each of them in this movie with all its campy dialogue and predictive acting.

But I digress.  Here is the point of this entire post: I did not know how much biking there was in this movie! I can almost imagine how much fun those girls had riding the bikes. All those old, vintage bikes!

Christina Ricci, Thora Birch, Ashleigh Aston Moore & Gaby Hoffman

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just discovered your blog, and it's really cool to know that there are others who choose to bike. I just started to ride to work as well, and so for far it's been great!
    But the reason I'm compelled to reply is, since you've been doing this far longer than I have, how do you deal with parking your rig, especially in Ortigas?! I read you commute to Ortigas (or maybe you start out from there?), and I'd like to learn more about which places are bike friendly.
    I'd also really like to know more about bike-messenger-ing! I've seen what the guys over at SF and NY can do with their bikes, and it's crazy! That's how I got inspired to ride fixed, which I read you do too!
    Anyway, I'd like to know more! If there's any way for me to reach out I'd like to get the chance. -Josh B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I haven't encountered too many problems while parking in Ortgias. Rob Galleria has designated bike parking. Megamall used to have bike parking, but with the new parking buildings, cropping up I'm not sure where to park anymore. But most of the time, I lock it up at the motorcycle area near the original supermarket. The security guards don't give me any grief. For Podium, I park in the open parking beside the mall. There aren't a lot of "true" bike parking options, but most of the time, it's about having security guards that are cooperative. Some guards would allow me to park my bike right in front of the building without me needing to lock it up, others would direct you far away from your destination. It always helps to be polite to them. :) Let me know how this works out for you.

      Thanks for dropping by and happy biking :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I also read about the designated bike rack in Gale, but that was back in '09 and they converted the upper deck parking into the Veranda methinks, so there's that.
      I used to park at the back of Podium, but this one Monday I was told they were for employees only *sigh*. I might check out the open parking though, thanks for the tip!
      Maybe you can get away with guards by using your girl powers? One of the perks of being a cycle chick I guess. :P

      Thanks again! Maybe I'll see you on the road sometime, you still ride the Lespo? :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete