Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Trees Are Out To Get You.

October 10. Autumn Rush. The race starts off on this immense hill, and I hear my breathing and my heart pounding well into the first ten minutes of this run. I'm not the only one. Most of the runners who have started this race running are now walking up the hills.

Then suddenly, I step into another world. It's all downhill from here--literally. I take what the trail gives me.  It's past12pm, but it's practically pitch black in the forest. I hear nothing, but the sound of my breathing. I almost lose my footing on several occasions, wanting to stop and take in the sights and sounds and this incredible atmosphere of where I am running, but gravity won't let me. Instead it takes me down, down, down, through twisty trails and singletracks, roots and rocks. And I am lost. Lost in my thoughts, lost in this eerie world where I half-expect trees to come to life and nymphs to pop out any time.

I feel incredibly sure-footed. Not a single thought of doubt enters my mind as I weave my way in and around the trails. My breathing, once heavy and noisy at the start of the uphills, are now more controlled.

Then I feel myself getting pulled back to reality. I see a dog and hikers. I see an aid station, where I take a banana and an electrolyte pill. (Apparently there was beer in that station too, which I did not know about??!) I see an even crazier hill than the one we entered. And I see other runners slowly climb that hill. And I hear their voices.

"My calves are killing me!"
"I'm cramping up!"

I hear the announcer and I see the parking lot. I hear a "Go, Lei!" cheer from Stacey, as she is already changing by the car.

And just like that, it was over way too soon. I grabbed a veggie burger, and stuffed my face with chips and a wagonwheel (an oversized Fibisco choco mallow) and hoped either Stacey's or my name would come up in the door prizes. I didn't win anything, but Stacey (unknowingly to her!) won the 10km category!

So no, the trees did not come out to get me. But I almost wished they did. How I would have loved to stay in that almost magical and mysterious trail!

The rain that was forecast for our race start made its presence known instead during the awarding. The temperature dropped a few degrees and then we made our way out of the park.

20km runners making their way past the start line.

Myra Adventure Park has this awesome ropes course for friends, family, or corporate stuff.

Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada. What are you thankful for?
My camera can't quite capture that awesome red fall-iage (harhar) way way down below.

Rene, the race director, giving some final pre-race tips to the 20km runnners.

Pre-race picture with Stacey!

Post-race with our finisher's medals! Stacey won the 10km category!
Some serious post-race chillage
Many thanks to the PACE Sports team, especially to Rene and all the volunteers for making this run happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment