Tuesday, December 8, 2015

5am rides

Before the heat sets in and I have to remind myself what riding at 5am to the university feels like.

Wake up at 4:30am. Look at the weather and see how manageable the temperature is. The most frustrating part about biking in close to negative temperatures is the sheer amount of clothing and preparation needed.

Long johns - check.
"Moisture-wicking base layer" (LOL I love all these technical terms) - check.
Down vest - check
Reflective windbreaker - check!
Balaclava/buff - check!
Cheap wool gloves (they may be glove liners but I am not entirely sure) - check!

Drag the bike outside to get a feel of the weather. Early in the fall, this was my go-to ride outfit. As temperatures hit closer to freezing, I need an extra layer.

So back into the house I go and grab another pair of gloves and put on leg warmers.

The worst part of the ride is the start-- it always feels a little bit chilly. Then as I pedal farther away from my house, my legs start to warm up, the heat starts to creep in as the road turns hillier. Soon, I feel nice and toasty.

Riding at 5am has its perks. I don't need to deal with crazy drivers. (See, that's what I don't get about Canadian drivers/roads. They have all the proper infrastructure to drive carefully, yet still lots of crazy drivers on the streets). The streets are quiet, empty, and dark. I can either talk to myself or sing out loud without looking like a fool. Other times, I'm perfectly content to appreciate the stillness and emptiness of the roads. Occasionally, I'd run into some of the early morning crew doing road repairs and we'd cheerily greet each other "good morning!", early morning accomplices each with the same thought: "What the hell are we doing up and about at 5 in the morning?"

The roads closer to the university have no street lights and so my headlamp comes in handy. These dark roads remind me so much of the open seas in Coron where we would travel based on the feel of the ocean. I've biked these roads all summer so even with my headlamp turned off, I knew exactly when the drops were coming, when I had to turn and which major potholes to avoid.

These roads that pass through orchards and stable are eerily quiet and dark. The whole world. It's my favorite part of the ride because then I feel absolutely at peace. The world is just about to wake up and I am alive and grateful to be here.



No comments:

Post a Comment